Monday, February 20, 2006

quote of the day

While I was in DC the amazing and wondeful Martine, the only woman ever to make me latvian pancakes from scratch, turned me on to Scorsese's new Dylan flick "No Direction Home." I sat in awe watching four hours of amazing Dylan photos, performances, and interviews.

Is there a place beyond genius you get to? What's the next level? Because thats where Dylan is. And you know, as a girl who is tone deaf and unccordinated, but loves music, I am envious of the way poetry flows from his fingers and breath. And I wish I could add his tricks to my repretoire.

I sympathized when Joan Baez when she explained how she wanted to be an activist, and he wanted to be a musician. I can relate, I am in a 11 year relationship with a nonactivist. There is a drive button that gets pushed and once selected, you can't retreat. But some people dont seem to have that button. Bob spoke with the soul of an activist, but he only wanted to give his voice.

So meanwhile, I am watching this video thinking about how tapped in Bob is to what is going on, but how sad it was that he only used music and words to oppose the machine. How he stopped before the actual action phase.

Then they show a clip from the Free Speech movement which includes the following quote.

"There is a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part; you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've
got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all! "
--Mario Savio


And then I realized. I may not have the song to sing. But I got a body to put on the gears.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home